Fall Cover Crops for your Garden - San Jose
Date: September 29, 2018
Time: 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Contact: UC Master Gardeners
Sponsor: UC Master Gardeners, Santa Clara County, CA
- Where you'll learn how to prevent erosion and soil loss
- Improve tilth
- add valuable organic matter
- increase air, water, and nutrient availability, and
- possibly add nitrogen to next year's garden beds, all while you thumb through seed catalogs and dream of next year's vegetable garden!
We will also discuss :
- why you'll want to grow cover crops,
- he various types of cover crops,
- when to plant them, and
- when to cut and compost or till them under.
After the talk, we'll have a hands-on demonstration on planting fall cover crops and cutting them down. Participants should wear closed-toed shoes, layered clothing and a hat, as the class is held outdoors in our Pavilion. A refillable water bottle, notebook and writing implements are recommended. Please arrive 15 minutes early to allow time to park and sign in. Please note: the park charges $6.00 for parking, or you can park on Chynoweth Avenue near Vauxhall Circle for free.
Presenter: UC Master Gardener Elizabeth Evans