Fruits & Nuts
Santa Clara Valley, also known as the Valley of Heart's Delight, is an ideal place for growing a wide variety of fruits & nuts. UC Master Gardeners can help you determine how to get started, how to nurture young trees, and how to get the most out of mature trees.
Links to statewide resources that apply to all fruit and nut crops:
- Soil: Soils should be relatively well-draining
- Sun: A minimum of eight hours of full sun is required for quality fruit
- Water: Fruit trees grow and produce best if you irrigate them deeply several times a season
- Wildlife Protection: Most protection efforts focus on excluding vertebrates with fences and/or netting
- Chill hours: Cumulative number of hours below 45°F will influence which fruits and varieties you can grow successfully