When to plant:
- Blackberries / Raspberries: mid-January through March
- Strawberries: late August (summer plantings) or late October (winter plantings)
Harvest window: May–September, depending on variety
Fertilization: Nitrogen in spring, additional applications as needed.
Annual care overview:
- Caneberries (Blackberries, Raspberries) need annual pruning to maintain the right balance of new & previous season growth.
- Strawberry runners should be pruned off to foster the health of the main plant. As yields & vigor decrease, consider replacing with fresh soil and/or new plants
Some Recommended Varieties for Santa Clara County*
Blackberries: Boysen, Logan (Thornless Logan), Marion, Olallie, Thornfree, Thornfree Evergreen and Young
Red Raspberries: Autumn Bliss, Canby, Fairview, Heritage, Meeker, Newburgh, September, Southland and Willamette
Black Raspberries: Cumberland and Munger
Strawberries: Aptos, Chandler, Fern, Hecker, Pajaro, Quinalt, Seascape and Sequoia
* Many other varieties may also do well here in Santa Clara County. This list is based on UC Master Gardener trials, taste tests, and feedback from local growers.