Pests & Diseases
Here are some useful resources for identifying and managing pests:
- Pest Notes Searchable collection of information from UC Davis on a wide variety of pests in homes, gardens, landscape, and turf. Includes insects, mammals, diseases, and more.
- Orchard Pests and Diseases Integrated pest management from UC Davis' The California Backyard Orchard
- Weed Management in Landscapes Weed management advice from UC Davis
- Weed IdentificationcIdentification and photo gallery of some of the most common weeds, from UC Davis
- Santa Clara County Vector Control District - Vector Control’s mission is to detect and minimize vector-borne diseases, to abate mosquitoes, and to assist the public in resolving problems with rodents, wildlife, and insects of medical significance. A vector can be a mosquito, a rat, a flea, a tick, any animal or insect that can transmit disease or cause harm to humans. SCC Vector Control District programs and services are provided free of charge to all residents of the Santa Clara County.
- Mosquito Inspection and Control
- Free delivery of mosquito fish
- Inspection & Advice for Rats and Mice
- Insect Identification
- Wildlife Advice and Inspection (Coyote, Raccoon, Skunk, Opossum, Rat, etc.)
- Community Education - There is an iPhone App for requesting services
- List of trees and shrubs resistant or susceptible to oak root fungus (Armillaria Root Rot). This list, completed in June 2008, includes both UC researched and contributed information.
You can also contact our Hotline by phone, email, or in person.