When to plant
- Direct seed: Mar–May, Aug–Oct
- Transplant: Feb–May, Sept–Oct
- Individual leaves are ready to pick 6–7 weeks after germination. Picking outer leaves regularly will keep the plant producing until it starts to flower.
- Younger plants have milder tasting leaves. If you prefer the milder leaves, seed new plants every couple of weeks to maintain a continuous supply of young plants.
- Plants prefer cool temperatures, so will perform best when planted in early spring or late fall. Withstands light frosts.
- Will resow if allowed to go to seed.
- Arugula, Oregon State, Department of Horticulture
Recommended Varieties for Santa Clara County*
|Arugula Italian, OP||Delicious salad greens with deep, spicy flavor. Will resow if allowed to go to seed. Flowers are edible too. 8–10" tall. Plant 3–6" apart.|
* Many other varieties may also do well here in Santa Clara County. This list is based on UC Master Gardener trials, taste tests, and feedback from local growers.