When to plant
- Transplant April–June when soil is well warmed and danger of frost is past.
- To grow from seed, sow seeds indoors six weeks prior to transplant.
Harvest window: Harvest continuously and frequently by picking the young, tender leaves, until frost.
- Plant in rich, well-drained soil in full sun.
- Water regularly.
- Harvest frequently to encourage new, tender leaves and to prevent flowering.
- Pinch off any flowers that do develop to prevent seeds from maturing.
Recommended Varieties for Santa Clara County*
See our list of Spring Garden Market Herbs for varieties that we have found perform well here.
*Many other varieties may also do well here in Santa Clara County. This list is based on UC Master Gardener trials, taste tests, and feedback from local growers.