Dr. Lucy Diekmann
Urban Agriculture/Food Systems Advisor, Santa Clara & San Mateo CountiesCooperative Extension San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
1500 Purisima Creek Road
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Community Food Security
- Food System Assessments/Policy
- Urban Agriculture/Local and Regional Food Systems
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Kingsley, J. (2022). Experiences of gardening during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic. Health & Place. 76:102854.
- Egerer, M. (2022). Gardening can relieve human stress and boost nature connection during the COVID-19 pandemic. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening. 127483.
- Lin, B.; Egerer, M., et al. (2021). COVID-19 gardening could herald a greener, healthier future. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 19:9, 491-493.
- Marsh, P.; Diekmann, L.O., et al. (2021). Where birds felt louder: The garden as a refuge during COVID-19. Wellbeing, Space and Society. 2:100055.
Diekmann, L. O., Gray, L. C., & Thai, C. L. (2020). More than food: The social benefits of localized urban food systems. Front. Sustain. Food Syst. 4: 534219. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.
- Robinson, C.N.; Baker, G. A., et al. (2020). Food expenditures and consumption by food bank clients in Silicon Valley. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review. 1-14.
Diekmann, L. O., & Ostrom, M. R. (2020). Growing Together: Participatory Approaches in Urban Agriculture Extension. Urban Agroecology: Interdisciplinary Research and Future Directions, 23, 229.
- Egerer, M.; B.B., Lin, et al. (2020). Nature connection, experience and policy encourage and maintain adaptation to drought in urban agriculture. Environmental Research Communications. 2:4, 1-13.
- Diekmann, Lucy; Gray, Leslie, et al. (2018). Growing 'good food': urban gardens, culturally acceptable produce and food security. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems.
- Diekmann, Lucy; Gray, Leslie, et al. (2017). Drought, water access, and urban agriculture: a case study from Silicon Valley. Local Environment. 22:11, 1394-1410.
- Diekmann, L.; Bennaton, R., et al. (2017). Involving Extension in urban food systems: an example from California. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension. 5:2, 70-90.
- Algert, S.; Diekmann, L., et al. (2016). Community and home gardens increase vegetable intake and food security of residents in San Jose, CA. California Agriculture. 70:2, 77-82.
- Algert, S.; Baameur, A., et al. (2016). Vegetable output, cost savings, and nutritional value of low income families' home gardens in San Jose, CA. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. 11:3, 328-336.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Urban Agriculture - Chair
- Agriculture and Nature Tourism - Member
- Native American Community Partnerships - Member
- Small Farm - Member
- Vegetable Crops - Member