How to grow: Tomatoes
Pest management: Tomato cultural tips, pests, and diseases
When to plant: April–June. For best results, wait until nighttime temperatures are consistently warm.
Harvest window: July–October, depending on variety
Fertilization: Over fertilization results in excessive leafy growth at the expense of flowers and fruit.
- Cage or stake plants to support expected growth. Indeterminate varieties can grow 6 feet tall or more.
- Water regularly but not excessively.
- Harvest tomatoes when fully colored and beginning to soften.
- Video: Planting Tall Tomato Seedlings
- Growing Great Tomatoes
- High Density Tomato Growing
- Tomato Tips by Months
Some Recommended Varieties for Santa Clara County*
See our list of Spring Garden Market Tomato varieties for varieties that we have found perform well here.
* Many other varieties may also do well here in Santa Clara County. This list is based on UC Master Gardener trials, taste tests, and feedback from local growers.